The Elementary / Middle School Counselor'S Survival Guide, Third Edition
- Publish Date: 2010-08-23
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: John J. Schmidt Ed.D.
Arrives in 3-7 Business Days
An expanded edition filled with ideas, strategies, and tools for school counselors
This Survival Guide helps counselors plan and implement an effective counseling program tailored to the needs of all students. Step by step, the book walks readers through every aspect of the school counselor job, including: designing a comprehensive counseling program, communicating with students and fellow staff, facilitating groups, promoting positive school discipline, integrating a guidance curriculum, intervening in times of crisis, and taking personal and professional care of oneself.
- Discusses how to reach out to diverse student and parent populations
- Shows how to integrate the American School Counselor Association's National Model for designing, delivering, and evaluating a school's counseling program
- Reveals how new technology can improve services to students and parents
- Other titles by Wiggin: I.O.U.S.A., Demise of the Dollar, and Financial Reckoning Day
This comprehensive resource also includes a wealth of reproducible worksheets, letters, checklists, and forms designed to save time and effort for busy school counselors.
Chapter 1 What, Who, and How of Your School Counseling Program.
Chapter 2 Developing Your Role and Creating an Identity.
Chapter 3 Setting Sail and Staying Afloat.
Chapter 4 Identifying Responsive Services.
Chapter 5 Integrating a School Counseling Program with the Curriculum.
Chapter 6 Reaching Out to Diverse Populations.
Chapter 7 Preparing for Crisis Intervention.
Chapter 8 Selecting Responsive Services to Address Students Concerns.
Chapter 9 Responding to Critical Concerns.
Chapter 10 Belonging and Being with the School.
Chapter 11 Involving Significant Others.
Chapter 12 Playing According to the Rules.
Chapter 13 Helping Yourself to Help Others.