- Publish Date: 2002-04-15
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Deborah Hughes-Hallett;Patti Frazer Lock;Andrew M. Gleason;Daniel E. Flath;Sheldon P. Gordon;David O. Lomen;David Lovelock;William G. McCallum;Brad G. Osgood;Andrew Pasquale;Jeff Tecosky-Feldman;Joseph Thrash;Karen R. Rhea;Thomas W. Tucker
Ensure your success! Purchase the value packagetextbook and StudentSolutions manual for the price of the textbook alone!
That'sa $32.95 savings!
(Set ISBN: 0471654930)
Textbook: Achieving a fine balance between the concepts and procedures of calculus, this applied Calculus text provides students with the solid background they need in the subject with a thorough understanding of its applications in a wide range of fields ? from biology to economics.
Key features of this innovative text include:
- The text is problem driven and features exceptional exercises based on real-world applications.
- The authors provide alternative avenues through which students can understand the material. Each topic is presented four ways: geometrically, numerically, analytically, and verbally.
- Students are encouraged to interpret answers and explain their reasoning throughout the book, which the author considers a unique concept compared to other books.
- Many of the real-world problems are open-ended, meaning that there may be more than one approach and more than one solution, depending on the student's analysis. Solving a problem often relies on the use of common sense and critical thinking skills. Students are encouraged to develop estimating and approximating skills.
- The book presents the main ideas of calculus in a clear, simple manner to improve students' understanding and encourage them to read the examples.
- Technology is used as a tool to help students visualize the concepts and learn to think mathematically. Graphics calculators, graphing software, or computer algebra systems perfectly complement this book but the emphasis is on the calculus concepts rather than the technology. (Textbook ISBN: 0471207926)
Student Solutions Manual: Provides complete solutions to every odd exercise in the text. These solutions will help you develop the strong foundation you need to succeed in your Calculus class and allow you to finish the course with the foundation that you need to apply the calculus you learned to subsequent courses.
(Solutions Manual ISBN: 0471213624)