Personality Disorders In Modern Life
- Publish Date: 2004-08-06
- Binding: Hardcover
- Author: Theodore Millon;Carrie M. Millon;Sarah E. Meagher;Seth D. Grossman;Rowena Ramnath
A revision of the leading textbook on personality disorders by renowned expert Theodore Millon
Personalities are like impressionistic paintings. At a distance, each person is 'all of a piece'; up close, each is a bewildering complexity of moods, cognitions, and motives.
Exploring the continuum from normal personality traits to the diagnosis and treatment of severe cases of personality disorders, Personality Disorders in Modern Life, Second Edition is unique in its coverage of both important historical figures and contemporary theorists in the field. Its content spans all the major disorders-Antisocial, Avoidant, Depressive, Compulsive, Histrionic, Narcissistic, Paranoid, Schizoid, and Borderline-as well as their many subtypes. Attention to detail and in-depth discussion of the subtleties involved in these debilitating personality disorders make this book an ideal companion to the DSM-IV(TM).
Fully updated with the latest research and theory, this important text features:
- Discussion of the distinctive clinical features and developmental roots of personality disorders
- Balanced coverage of the major theoretical perspectives-biological, psychodynamic, interpersonal, cognitive, and evolutionary
- Individual chapters on all DSM-IV(TM) personality disorders and their several subtypes and mixtures
- Case studies throughout the text that bring to life the many faces of these disorders
Including a new assessment section that singles out behavioral indicators considered to have positive predictive power for the disorders, this Second Edition also includes a special focus on developmental, gender, and cultural issues specific to each disorder. A comprehensive reference suitable for today's practitioners, Personality Disorders in Modern Life, Second Edition features a clear style that also makes it a valuable resource for advanced undergraduate and graduate students. The most thorough book of its kind, this Second Edition is a powerful, practical resource for all trainees and professionals in key mental health fields, such as psychology, social work, and nursing.