Solid State Physics, 2Nd Edition
- Publish Date: 1995-06-30
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: J. R. Hook;H. E. Hall
ThisSecond Edition is aimed at students taking a first course in this subject, although it will also be of interest to professional physicists and electronic engineers requiring a grasp of the fundamentals of this important area of physics. Basic concepts are introduced in an easily accessible context: for example, wave propagation in crystals is introduced using one-and two-dimensional geometries. Only when these basic ideas are familiar are generalisations to three dimensions and the elegant framework of the reciprocal lattice made. Extensively rewritten, the Second Edition now includes new and expanded coverage of semiconductor devices, the quantum Hall effect, quasicrystals, high temperature superconductors and techniques for the study of the surfaces of solids. A chapter on dielectrics and ferroelectrics has also been added. Solid State Physics, Second Edition features:
- A carefully written and structured text to help students fully understand this exciting subject.
- A flow diagram allowing topics to be studied in different orders or omitted altogether.
- Optional starred and highlighted sections containing more advanced and specialised material for the more ambitious reader.
- Carefully selected problems at the end of each chapter designed to assist learning. Solutions are provided at the end of the book.