Organisations and the Business Environment
- Publish Date: 2005-07-14
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Tom Craig;David Campbell
This new edition of Organisations and the Business Environment provides a completely revised, extended and updated edition of the original successful text. It provides contemporary and comprehensive coverage of the subject matter which is highly relevant to business and management students at undergraduate, postgraduate and professional levels. The text is written in a clear and concise style, illustrated with topical examples and data.
Organisations and the Business Environment (second edition) comprises four sections:
* Business Organisations V discusses the evolution of organisational and managerial theories and concepts with particular emphasis on their relevance in the 21st century. The different types of organisations and their missions, visions, goals and objectives are examined.
* The External Business Macro-Environment V describes and considers the political, economic, socio-cultural, technological, ecological and legal influences on organisations, utilizing the PESTEL framework of analysis. This section includes a review of the internationalization of businesses and examines the role of GATT and the WTO, single markets and trading blocs.
* The External Business Micro-Environment V provides a review of the market system and the nature of supply and demand. Market structures are examined in the light of monopolistic regimes and working for competitive advantage. The impact of government intervention is explored via regulatory bodies, privatization, and nationalization programmes.
* Business Management V explores the major aspects of contemporary business organisations, including corporate governance and business ethics. In particular, this section tackles the areas of structure, culture, change, quality management and the principal functions of organisations.
This textbook is a user-friendly resource with end of chapter questions, activities and assignments to consolidate learning. Its strong emphasis on topical examples enables students to understand how theory is applied in business contexts, including, GlaxoSmithKline, BT, Scottish and Newcastle, Hanson plc and a number of not-for-profit organisations.
There is additional Tutor Resource material, including presentation slides, data charts, chapter summaries, questions and answers.
An excellent book...good use of learning objectives, questions and potential assignments.
Paul Blakely, Lecturer, University College of Warrington.