- Publish Date: 2007-08-25
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: John Bird BSc (Hons) CEng CMath CSci FIET MIEE FIIE FIMA FCollT
John Bird's approach to mathematics, based on numerous worked examples supported by problems, is ideal for students of a wide range of abilities. Theory is kept to a minimum, with the emphasis firmly placed on problem-solving skills, making this a thoroughly practical introduction to the mathematics engineering students need to master.
The book presents a logical topic progression, rather than following the structure of a particular syllabus and is suitable for all Level 3 vocational students and first year undergraduates in Engineering. However, coverage has been carefully matched to the mathematics units within the 2007 BTEC National specifications.
In this fifth edition, new material on inequalities and differentiation of parametric equations, implicit and logarithmic functions as well as an introduction to differential equations has been added. The book now also includes two new revision tests and even more problems for students to work through.
Additional chapters on linear correlation, linear regression and sampling and estimation theories can be downloaded for free from http://books.elsevier.com/companions/9780750685559
Support material for tutors is available as a free download at http://textbooks.elsevier.com:
- Instructor's manual with full solutions and suggested marking scheme for all 18 revision tests in the book
- Solutions manual with worked solutions for about 1,250 of the further problems in the book
- Electronic files for all illustrations in the book
* New colour layout helps navigation and highlights key learning points, formulae and exercises
* Over 1,000 worked examples and 2,000 questions, all with answers
* Fully up to date with the 2007 BTEC National specification
* Free lecturer support material available via textbooks.elsevier.com