De-stressing Doctors: A Self-Management Guide, 1e
- Publish Date: 2004-03-16
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Valerie Sutherland BSc(Hons) MSc PhD CPsychol AFBPsS;Cary L. Cooper CBE
Arrives in 3-7 Business Days
This invaluable guide shows doctors how to effectively manage their stress, before they become distressed.
The authors also acknowledge that doctors do not work in a social vacuum, and address the management, business and social positions doctors are expected to fulfil, in addition to their clinical role.
De-stressing Doctors: a Self-management Guide will help every doctor to become their own stress manager by integrating stress control techniques into the day-to-day profession of medical practitioner.
- Drawing upon their extensive experience of stress control strategies for the medical profession, the authors offer an extremely practical, three-fold approach to the subject: Awareness - increase your self-awareness to understand stress among medical practitioners; why and how it causes harm. Analysis - learn how to identify and measure the stress that can lead to poor quality of life, ill health or poor job performance. Action - strategies include:
- Time management - including how to recognise and avoid 'burnout' and how to identify 'time-wasters'
- Ways of creating a more effective and stress-free medical practice environment
- Promoting understanding of the relationship between behaviour and stress and why certain patterns of behavior create or exacerbate stress.