SQL For Dummies
- Publish Date: 2003-08-08
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Allen G. Taylor
Many database management system (DBMS) tools run on a variety of hardware platforms. The differences among the tools can be many, but all serious products have one thing in common: They support data access and manipulation in SQL, the industry-standard language specifically designed to enable people to create and manage databases. If you know SQL, you can build relational databases and get useful information out of them.
Relational database management systems are vital to many organizations. People often think that creating and maintaining these systems are extremely complex activitiesthe domain of database gurus who possess enlightenment beyond that of ordinary mortals. Well, SQL For Dummies, 5th Edition, sweeps away the database mystique.
Written in easy-to-understand terms and updated with the latest information on SQL, this handy reference shows you step-by-step how to make your database designs a reality using SQL:2003. But you don't have to be a database newbie to find value in SQL For Dummies, 5th Edition; even if you have some experience designing and creating databases, you may discover a few things you didn't know about.
Here's just a sampling of some of the things you'll find covered in SQL For Dummies, 5th Edition:
- Exploring relational database and SQL fundamentals
- Building and maintaining a simple database structure
- Building a multiple relational database
- Manipulating database data
- Examining SQL nuts and bolts: values, expressions, operators, and queries
- Providing database security and protecting your data
- Exploring ODBC and JDBC, and using SQL with XML
- Moving beyond the basics: cursors, persistent stored modules, and error-handling
- Top Ten lists on common SQL mistakes and retrieval tips
Plain and simply, databases are the best tools ever invented for keeping track of the things you care about. After you understand databases and can use SQL to make them do your bidding, you wield tremendous power. SQL For Dummies, 5th Edition, can get you well on your way to harnessing the power of databases.