Concepts and Definitions of Family for the 21st Century
- Publish Date: 1999-08-24
- Binding: Hardcover
- Author: Barbara H Settles;Suzanne Steinmetz
Explore the breakdown of the universal family form into new living arrangements and the political and social implications of how they influence the definition of family today! Concepts and Definitions of Family for the 21st Century views families from a US perspective and from many different cultures and societies. You will examine the family as it has evolved from the 1950s traditional family to todays family structures. The controversial question, What is family? is thoroughly examined as it has become an increasingly important social policy concern because of the recent change in the traditional family. Scholars and researchers in family studies and sociology will be intrigued by these thought-provoking articles that analyze the definition of the family from a multitude of perspectives.Concepts and Definitions of Family for the 21st Century looks at family in terms of its social construction, variations and the diversity in families, among others. You will examine the negative implications of using the term The Family as it implies The Nuclear Family, which many powerful lobbies (politics, morality, religion) claim to support and revere. You will also explore family ideology and identity from many different social and cultural contexts. Some of the family issues you will explore in Concepts and Definitions of Family for the 21st Century include:
- marrying, procreating, and divorcing in a traditional Jewish family
- redefining western families by taking into consideration the legal factors, history, tradition and the continued expansion of the definition of family in the US
- addressing family issues in Lithuania, a country amidst many political changes
- challenging and complicating the definition of family with stepfamilies
- exploring the question What are families after divorce?
- examining multicultural motives for marriage and how these motives effect courting behavior in Lithuania
- defining families through caregiving patternsConcepts and Definitions of Family for the 21st Century goes in-depth to broaden and interpret the meaning of family in todays society. Through the exploration of legal implications, professional and personal needs this text takes into account the large variety of groups that have close living relationships. Concepts and Definitions of Family for the 21st Century will assist you in answering the difficult and complex question What is family?