Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession
- Publish Date: 1989-08-13
- Binding: Hardcover
- Author: Ruth A. Lawrence
The completely revised and updated New Edition of this trusted text delivers complete, authoritative, evidence-based information on all of the scientific and clinical topics related to breastfeedingfrom basic data on the anatomical, physiological, biochemical, nutritional, immunological, and psychological aspects of human lactation...to guidance on a full range of problems in clinical management. Written by a pioneer in the field of human lactation, the 6th Edition has been revised from cover to cover to include information on new drugs and herbal products, infections, and much more.
- Provides the basic tools of knowledge and experience to enable readers to provide thoughtful guidance to the breastfeeding mother that is most applicable to her circumstances, problems, and lifestyle.
- Features a wealth of references from the most recent studies.
- Integrates evidence-based data with practical experience
- Offers complete coverage of anatomy and physiology * the composition of human breast milk * guidance on lactation management * equipment, pumps, and other devices * contraindications to breastfeeding * and much more
- Provides an extensive new section on gigantomastia, a relatively new entity that is now being seen more frequently.
- Presents new discussions of infections and infectious diseases in both the mother and infant.
- Delivers updated information on drugs and lactation including newly approved medications, over-the-counter medications, and herbal remedies.
- Features 2 new chapters: Problems Associated with the Nipple, Areola, and Breast Itself and The Premature Infant and Breastfeeding.